As most of you know Garmin is one of the most well known smartwatch companies. Is an American Multinational company founded by Gary Burell and Min Kao in 1989 in Kansas, United States. The headquarters are located in Olathe, Kansas.
This company is not involved just in timepieces, they specializes in GPS technology for automotive, marine, aviation, sports and outdoor activities. Due to their development in the watches technology, they been also competing with gps tracker and smartwatch developers such as Apple and Fitbit.
Let’s talk about a little bit of the company history before going to the smartwatches so you guys can understand the reason and the purpose of this enterprise. In 1983, Gary Burrel hired Min Kao from the defense contractor Magnavox while working for King Radio. Both of them founded Garmin in Lenexa Kansas in 1989. The intitial name of Garmin was ProNav, the first product was a GPS unit that it was sold for $2,500.
The company was later renamed Garmin. This is a fusion of its two founders, Gary and Min. Their first client was the US Army in 1991. By 1995 Garmin had reached $105 million and achieved a profit of $23 million. By 1999 they reached $233 million in sales and a profit of $64 millions. In 2006 this company reported $1.77 billion in total revenue, 73% up from $1.03 billion in 2005.
By year 2000 Garmin sold three million GPS devices, and was creating 50 different models. They products were sold in 100 countries and lugged 2,500 independent distributors.
Garmin has adquired different companies to expand their portfolio and monetize different markets. For example they acquired UPS Aviation Technologies in 2003 to expand their product line for private and commercial aircraft. They changed the name to Garmin AT, Inc. Then they acquired Dynastreams Innovations, EME, and Digital Cyclone. Dynastreams produces personal monitoring technology such as foot pods and heart rate monitor for sport and fitness products. EME is the distributor of Garmin consumer products in France, after the acquisition was named Garmin France SAS. Digital Cyclone In provide weather solutions for consumer, pilots, and outdoor enthusiasts. Garmin as well bought Nautamatic Marine Systems, a company that makes autopilot systems for boats. In 2011 they acquired Navigon a german Satellite navigation company.
Now that we know a little more deeper about this company and all their verticals I’m going to give you my best recommendations on their smartwatches and the sport that is related to the smart watch.
- Designed for advanced running and multisport features in a comfort watch you can wear 24 hours a day and it only weights 49 grams.
- It provides elevation changes with an integrated barometer, altimeter and electronic compass to help you keep your bearings.
- Evaluates your training status to let you know if you are undertraining or overdoing it and gives you additional performance features.
- It has advanced dynamics for running, cycling and swimming, including ground contact time balance, stride length and more.
- Battery life last up to two weeks in watch mode and up, 24 hours in GPS mode, up to 50 hours in UltraMac mode with wrist heart rate or up to 60 hours in UltraMac mode without wrist heart rate.
- Fits your wrist and Your Fashion Style. Basically is a smartwatch you can be happy to wear all day. You can change the bands to fit every event.
- Monitor your Performance, Training and Recovery
- Analize your technique.
- Go Longer Between charges
- Run, sprint, swim, bike, tri
- Breathe easier, dive better. Easy to acces features for a range of diving activities, including the ability to plan dives on the device for recreational, technical or free diving.
- Multiple Navigation Sensors In addition to its high sensivity GPS and Glonass Satellite this watch provides a full collection of ABC (altimeter, barometer and compass) sensor capabilities for topside navigation.
- Wrist based heart rate. Mk1 computer uses Garmin Elevate wrist based hear rate technology to optically scan your pulse when you wear in contact with your skin no wet suit or dry suit .
- Advanced Multisport Watch features. Mk1 also offers a complete feature set of sports, training, fitness, and outdoor navigation tools, it is leveraged from the Fenix line.
- Smart connectivity. When its paired with your smartphone it makes it easy to receive text messages, emails and smart notifications right on the watch face. As well gives you access to audio, music and more. Friends and family members can follow your location and adventures online.
- Premium materials, elegant style. Is available in two styles: a stainless steel bezel with treated silicone watch band or a deluxe titanium bezel with brushed DLC titanium bracelet.
- Charge it up, change it up. Between charges you can count up to 40 hours of battery life in dive mode, 19 days in watch mode, 10 days in smartwatch mode and 20 hours in GPS mode, all depending on the settings
- You can customize the watch display with free watch face, apps and data fields from the Connect IG store.
Garmin Tactix Charlie
- Premium GPS watch with tactical Functionality
- 1.2″ high resolution, sunlight readable display with domed sapphire lens.
- Preloaded TOPO mapping plus routable map navigation.
- Rugged design with black diamond like carbon coated titanium bezel, black titanium rear cover, and stainless steel buttons.
- Tactical features including Jumpmaster, wayjoint projection, dual position GPS formatting and preloaded tactical activity.
- Built in navigation sensors with GPS and GLONASS
- 12 days battery life in smartwatch mode, up to 20 hours in GPS mode and uo to 35 hours in UltraTrac battery saver mode.
- Map your route
- Navigate the outdoors your way with ABC (altimeter, barometer and compass) sensors to guide you on or off the beaten path.
- Monitor your performance, training and recovery.
- Wrist based heart rate
- Stay smartly conected. Receive emails, text and alerts right on your watch.
- Customize it with the custom apps, watches faces and more with the ConnectIQ store.
In resume all these watches are designed with one purpose, fulfill and exceed all your needs and expectations. Doesn’t matter if you are running, swimming, biking , hiking or diving. These watches will help you to do a killer workout and improve your potential to the maximum. Hope you guys like it and I will see you on the next post. Have a good day!